All Natural Laundry Tips
Posted on October 10 2018
I'm so curious. How often do people actually do their laundry? I tend to do mine once every week or every 2 weeks. Some of my friends do laundry EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Why?! I feel like there are more important things to do than laundry - I mean, unless you have a very large family and everyone has a day of the week to do their laundry. There are circumstances, I get it.
To me, doing laundry every day doesn't make sense. It uses a ton of energy, loads are likely smaller, so it seems like it's wasting water, it takes up your time DAILY to switch loads and fold laundry (You could be taking time to self care instead of fold laundry!), and it wears out your clothing.
Alas, if you choose to do laundry every single day, or weekly or monthly, I'd love to send out some cool tips to at least avoid the chemical concoctions that we now know as laundry detergent and fabric softeners.
Have you read the fabric softener label? It actually says that using this product will make your fabric more flammable! Many also contain pthalates, which is an ingredient in the scent that causes skin irritation. Yes, that fresh laundry smell is a dream, but I assure you, there are great ways to do this naturally!
1. White Vinegar. It's odor free, keeps your whites white and softens your fabric. Vinegar is pretty much great for cleaning anything, and it's no different in your laundry. Simply add a 1/2 cup in the rinse cycle for whitening whites, 2 cups to a normal wash to neutralize odors, or my favourite, in a spray bottle, to spray onto especially dirty clothes before they go in the wash.
2. Baking Soda. Scrubs out stains and absorbs odors! Mix it with a bit of natural soap or hydrogen peroxide for heavy stain removal. Or you can pick up an all natural stain remover bar like Buncha Farmers Stain Removal Bar from our store.
3. Air drying. In the warmer months, bring back the outdoor laundry line! On rainy or freezing days, set up an area to hang your clothes and use a fan to speed it up if necessary. The dryer is an energy hog, so hanging to dry saves on energy and your electricity bill!
4. But I love fresh laundry smell! If you do need to use your dryer, grab some dryer balls instead of disposable fabric softener sheets. They help dry your clothes and you can add some essential oils to them to add a scent to your laundry. We like the wool ones, you can get them at our store HERE.
5. There are a ton of emerging products today in the natural section! Check out our cleaning line here: Green Cleaning with Tiny Tree Hugger
Do you have any amazing laundry tips you want to share? Let us know!